Popular Posts

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

To work or not work that is the question

So I have started doing my KIT (keep in touch days) at work . For those of you that don't. Know what they are , they are a number of days allocated to someone on maternity leave to use up to ease their way back to work. I don't actually start work till 4 th June, but I have decided to use up my kit days and help 'get back into work mode.'
I went into work today and just basically shadowed another teacher with the group of students that I will be with when I go back.  I got up early this morning (no change there) and left the kids with the hubby to sort out. It was actually the first time I have left my baby boy ALL day with his dad. It was hard.

However,once I got to work, it was like I never left!! I had a good day actually felt brain challenged rather than baby brain ! I managed to have a peaceful cup of tea and cake without worrying a toddler was going to knock it over, without rushing and having to deal with sticky hands and , taking to the toilet and changing the nappy half way through my cup of tea. It was a very nice cup of tea indeed. I didn't have my toddler wanting a bite of my cake, or wanting to dip a biscuit in my tea and then having to drink tea with softened biscuit, errgh.  Lunch was even better! I only ate MY lunch .  I felt selfish for once.

All the time I was there I thought of my babies. We're they ok? Has the nappy been changed, have they eaten? Has my daughter been to the toilet? Are they crying? Has my baby had a nap? Even though they were with their dad I still worried.

Was it worth all the worry? The telephone calls back to hubby asking if they are ok? I don't know.
I really don't. But selfishly I enjoyed work, I enjoyed spending the day with adults, I loved interacting with other people, I adored the social aspect of work. Is that bad? And best of all, I absolutely 100 percent was delighted to spend the day without the kids.

This was a one off.  If only life was this easy. The selfless act of being a mother almost instantly feels better than being selfish.

Have you gone back to work recently after maternity leave? What are your thoughts?




No comments:

Post a Comment